MEMS is an emerging technology in which Microscopic Machines are developed by the tools and techniques that were developed for the Integrated Circuit (IC)ndustry.
|Components of MEMS|
|SMART BIOMEM (LAB ON A CHIP)|
This technology has an enormous number of application areas, including
- Automotive Eg. Accelerometers for airbag systems, Roll-over detection systems, etc.
- Biomedical Eg.Neural prosthesis devices like hearing and visual aids, Smart drug delivery systems, On Chip body fluid analysis systems, Microsurgery tools, Pacemakers
- Telecommunication Eg. Micromirrors for fiber optic switching for fast internet,Smart Antennas
- Household appliances pressure sensors for water level detection, frost sensors for refrigerators
- Consumer Applications DLP projectors, i-phone,
- Defense applications Eg. Low cost night vision, Smart munitions